Top 5 Common Causes of House Fires

A fire in your home is most people’s biggest fear. A house can easily catch fire from misused appliances to faulty electrical wiring. However, with new and safer technology, you can take measures to prevent and avoid a fire in your home.

Below are some of the top causes of House fires, and how to prevent them.

Cooking equipment and appliances:

Pots and Pans can overheat/overflow and start a gas/oil fire at your range with little to no warning. This usually occurs when the person cooking gets distracted with other tasks and forgets about the food cooking at the stove. A good way to prevent this type of incident, is by always staying in the kitchen when food is being cooked and appliances are being used. Even having someone monitor the kitchen while you step away for a short moment can be the difference between a fire and well-cooked meal.

Space Heaters:

Keeping proper distance and spacing between space heaters and combustible material is always good practice. A lot of people do not realize what combustible means and how it contributes to the fuel of a fire when ignited. Combustibles in the home are common, such as furniture, curtains, clothes, sheets/bedding, and various other materials and fixtures. The best practice for preventing a fire with your space heater is by keeping proper clearance from combustibles and also having the heater on a timer to prevent continuous unneeded use and overheating.

Smoking Indoors:

Homes are best to be kept off limits for smoking. A cigarette that is not put out can cause combustible materials such as carpet, furniture, curtains, and bedding to catch fire and further engulf the home with little to no warning. Fires from smoking inside homes, predominantly occurs in the bedroom. Fires started in bedrooms make up 73% of all house fire fatalities. The best way to prevent this type of fire is by never smoking inside your home.

Electrical Power strip extension cords:

An electrical appliance can catch fire due to faulty wiring or a damaged electrical cord. A power strip that is over loaded with multiple appliances/fixtures that are all drawing excessive power at the same time are also huge contributors to house fires. Make sure all fixtures/appliances/extension cords/power strips are all properly inspected and used within their approved manufacturer operating standards.

Faulty Wiring:

Homes with inadequate or faulty wiring are one of the leading causes of electrical fires in residential homes. Some signs to see if you have bad wiring are:

  • Lights dim or flicker when another appliance is in use
  • To get appliances or other fixtures to work you have to disconnect other electrical systems
  • Fuses/breakers trip frequently

If you are experiencing any of the above issues, it would be wise to have a licensed and insured electrician to further inspect the electrical system in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *